Pages

Monday 14 March 2011

My Felix & Norton Cookies

Ok. This is a WINNER in Spain. People here rave about cookies and actually call them Cookies with their lovely Spanish accent :). Usually cookies are called galletas but when you hear someone say Cookies, you know he's talking about the chocolate chips American version of them. David and I are Chips Ahoy fans dipped in milk and let me tell you that the Chips Ahoy in Spain suck! They are so hard and they don't soften much when dipped in milk. A real bummer... So I had to result with the good old homemade version.

Chocolate chips are not an easy thing to find in big quantities here. So thank god for Costco! haha! I get my 2kg bag from Costco and bring it to Madrid. If I run low, I always get a good soulmate visiting that can bring it to me. David's cousin uses chocolate bar pieces and they turn out super good as well, so, if ever I run low, I know what I can use.

So to all the Spaniards looking to make the famous cookies, this is a tried and true recipe. They disappear everytime I make them and my coworkers and family always ask for Mel's cookies. I call them my Felix and Norton and anyone that has tried them know they are the best!

Chocolate Chip Cookies


Ingredients:

1 cup of brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup of melted butter
1/2 tsp of bicarbonate of soda
2 tbsp of milk
1 cup of chocolate chips
1 & 3/4 cups of flour

Preheat the oven at 180C.

In a small cup, mix the bicarbonate of soda and milk together. Set aside.

In a bowl, mix the brown sugar, melted butter (make sure it's not boiling. A creamy texture works great here in order to get that soft cookie texture) and egg.


Mix well. Add the milk and bicarbonate of soda mixture.


Mix. Add the chocolate chips and flour.


Mix until you have a perfect texture.


Using a spoon, place the cookies onto a baking sheet.


Cook for about 8 to 10 mins. Depending on the desired texture. I like mine soft so 8 mins is usually fine. If you have them crunchy, them a good 10 mins is required.



All done and delicious!!!

1 comment: