Pages

Thursday 24 March 2011

Beer Chicken Stew

I had some chopped chicken legs that I had thawed and was still trying to figure out the best way to cook them. I started off wanting to do Pollo alla cacciatore but I didn't have any capers or olives... then I saw the beer we still had in the fridge from Sunday and decided on Beer Stew :)

I love my stew with some good potatoes and figured I should add some carrots for veggies and color. So, I stopped by the fruteria on my way home and as I was picking the carrots, I saw some sweet potatoes. I have actually never cooked with sweet potatoes in Spain but I had been looking forward to it. Also, it would work great with the colors from the stew. Funny fact, in Spanish sweet potato is called Batata. I find that name pretty wicked. Potato is patata and sweet potato is batata. :)

Beer Chicken Stew


Ingredients

1 kg of chicken legs (chopped or whole)
1 onion
2 potatoes
2 sweet potatoes
2 carrots
4 cloves
2 garlic cloves
1 bay leaf
2 cans of beer
2 cups of chicken broth
salt and pepper
oil

In a large pot, heat oil. In the meantime, remove the skin from the chicken pieces. I like to remove it because it tends to splash a lot if you keep it. When the oil is hot, add the chicken pieces. Brown on each side for about 10 minutes total. I worked with 2 pots as mine is kind of small...


While the chicken is cooking, chop the potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots and onion.


Remove the chicken from the pot.


With the oil and broth from the chicken, sweat the onion and garlic for a minute. Add the potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, salt and pepper.


Add the beer, bay leaf, cloves and chicken. Cover the stew with the chicken broth.


Cook for 30 minutes.

I left it longer, for about 1 hour as I was waiting for David to get home. The stew was great but the sweet potato was a bit too soft and would undo super easily. So, if you are using sweet potatoes, do not overcook them :)

No comments:

Post a Comment