Pages

Thursday 24 March 2011

Mexican Beef Rice Twist

My mom and sister used to cook pretty often what was called: Riz à l'espagnol (Spanish Rice). After living here for a few years and with over 6 years of Spanish cooking knownledge, I can honestly say that when they said Spanish, they really meant Mexican. In America, when you tell someone that you are Spanish, they always ask you from where. Hum... Spanish people are from Spain??!! People really confuse the language with the nationality. Anyways, back to the recipe. My mom always used peppers and ground beef in hers and it was always gone before you knew it!

I actually didn't start doing this recipe with the intention of making a twist on this dish. I wanted to use my beef cubes and some green beans I had. So I decided to make a beef and green rice and realized that I still had some tomato sauce in the fridge that wouldn't be good to use when I come back from Italy on Monday. Why not just throw it in? That's what I did! :) Ended up with my Mom's Spanish/Mexican Rice Twist!

Mexican Beef Rice Twist


Ingredients

500grs beef cubes
200gr of green beans (or peppers or any other veggies)
1 small onion
1 garlic clove
1 tbsp Montreal Steak Spices (or chili powder for a real Mexican twist)
1 tbsp of rice seasoning
1 tsp of Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 cup of white wine
3 cups of beef broth
1 & 1/2 cup of rice
Salt and pepper
oil

In a skillet, heat oil. In the meantime, roughly cut the onion, green beans and garlic. When the oil is ready, add the onion and garlic. Cook for a few minutes. Add the meat, steak spices and rice seasoning. Cook for about 5 minutes. Add the white wine (red wine can work as well).


Reduce wine and add the tomato sauce and worcestershire sauce. After a few minutes, add the beef broth. Let simmer.


When the broth turns slightly brown, add the green beans and rice.


Cover and let the rice cook through. You might need to add a bit of water depending on the rice you are using. When ready, add the salt and pepper. I always add it at the end because the salt removes the moisture from the meat.


You can really use whatever you want with this rice: chicken, pork, beef, seafood and any kind of veggies. Be creative :) You'll be surprise by what you can come up with.

I'm off to preparing my suitcase. Parto per l'Italia domani per la mattina :) Buon fine de settimana a tutti!

No comments:

Post a Comment