Pages

Tuesday 30 August 2011

Got some wontons?

Almost nobody here knows what wontons are! Some people know what gyozas are but wontons... sounds chinese to them. Well, that's maybe because it is :)

I am a huge fan of wonton soup. My sister and I used to get make it at home buying the wonton wrappers. Since those little wrappers were nowhere to be found, I looked it up online and have been making the dough ever since. It's not hard to make but long; especially in the summer months where the dough tends to get sticky.... be there, done that!

Fast forward to my sushi party where I found, through my best friend called google, this amazing little japanese store in Madrid with a bunch of typical products. I bought my gyozas wrappers and low and behold: wonton wrappers! No more mixing, rolling and cutting for me :)

So here goes the basic pork wonton recipe (quite similar to gyozas). You can fry them, steam them or boil them. Have fun with it :)

Wontons


Ingredients:

1 pack of wonton wrappers (about 50 pieces)
500grs ground pork
2 shallots
2 garlic cloves
1 tbsp  ginger
1 tbsp soya sauce
1 tbsp mirin sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
salt and pepper

Mince the ginger, garlic and shallots.

In a bowl, mix the meat, ginger, garlic, shallots, mirin, soya sauce, sesame oil, salt and pepper.


Using a small spoon, drop a spoonful of meat mixture in the middle of the wonton wrapper.


Dip your fingertip in water and pass it over the sides of the wonton wrapper.

Fold the wrapper in two, pinching lightly to close it off.


Close off by pressing on the sides, removing the air trapped in the middle.


Fold the two sides together and pinch them to form the wonton shape.


One done, 49 to go :)


(If you notice, I used papel towels on my plates to make sure they didn't stick to them. Worked like a charm!)

There you have it. Wontons are really to cook :)

Ok, so now, soup or fried? I did both!

Use chicken broth for your soup with shallots.

Drop them in the boiling water and they will be done after a few minutes.


Serve the soup with soya sauce and shallots:


or fry them up until golden.


You can tell we had a wondeful wonton supper :)

Enjoy :)


No comments:

Post a Comment