Pages

Monday 30 May 2011

POGOS!

Gotta love those Corn Dogs! I actually had to google to find out the real name since in Quebec everybody calls them Pogo (brand name).

I never thought I would end up making these at home, but, then again, I never thought I would be living in Spain one day! No corn dogs here! We were craving them the other day so off to google I went. Actually turns out they are pretty easy to make. My major concern was the wooden stick as the typical corn dog one is not sold here. I ended up using those disposable wooden chopsticks; worked like a charm!

So here goes my take on the Corn Dog recipe.

Corn Dogs



Ingredients:

20 hot dog sausages (I only made ten but the batter can make 20 perfectly)
1 cup milk
2 eggs
1/4 cup oil
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp baking powder
1 1/3 cup flour
2/3 cup corn meal
1 tsp paprika

In a bowl, mix the milk, eggs, oil and sugar.


Add the baking powder, salt, paprika, corn meal and flour. (I used 2/3 flour and 1 1/3 corn meal and the texture did not form enough dough around the sausage when it cooked, so I decided to add more flour than corn meal. It worked better for me.)


Take the sausages, and stick a chopstick through each one.


Sprinkle the sausages with flour to prevent the batter from sliding off of them.


Using a glass tall enough to cover the sausages, fill it with the batter.


Take one of the sausages and cover it with batter.



Shake off excess batter.

In a large pan or deep fryer (works a LOT better in a fryer), fry the pogos. I realized that if the oil was too hot, the batter would open up. So don't overheat it.


3 at a time.


Remove from oil and drain with a papel towel the excess oil.


And there you have it! Super easy to make and a lot better than store bought :)

Hope you enjoy them as much as we did :)

No comments:

Post a Comment