Pages

Wednesday 11 May 2011

A Nice Stew

Every country has its own meat cuts, traditions and ways. I found it pretty funny when I went to the butcher and saw a whole beef rib for sale. So I decided to give it a try and had the butcher chop it off for me. I have since then bought it again and again as it is quite the tasty meat. Having the bone makes the stew very flavory and the meat is great. It is like an argentinian cut but only one rib... kinda weird to explain but you get an idea from the pics.

Since the weather was a bit cloudy this weekend, I made this wonderful stew. I usually pop in some carrots but I was too lazy to go to the store and get some. So I added some green peas before serving ;) Veggie problem solved :)

Guiso de Costillas de Ternera


Ingredients:

1 kg chopped beef rib
4 potatoes
1 can crushed tomatoes (390gr)
1 or 2 cups beef broth
1 cup white wine
1/2 onion
2 garlic cloves
1 tsp thyme
salt and pepper
2 bay leaves
2 tbsps flour
1 tsp paprika
oil

In a plastic bag, add the flour and pepper. Drop the pieces of meat it, close and shake well to coat them.

In a large pot, heat oil. When ready, brown the pieces of meat on both sides for a few minutes.


Remove and set aside.


Slice the onion and garlic. In the same oil that you browned the meat, add the onion and garlic.


Add the wine and let reduce. Add the broth, tomatoes paprika, bay leaves and thyme.


Mix well and bring to a boil. When it boils, add the meat. Adding it when the broth boils helps seize the meat and keep that moisture in. Cook for about 1 hour and a half.

When the meat has been in for a hour and a half, peel and cut the potatoes. Add to the stew.


Cook for another hour. The meat should be really tender and falling off the bones. If it isn't, cook it longer.

When the stew is ready and you want to make it less liquid, take a few potato pieces, mash them with a fork and return to the pot mixing well. It thickens it perfectly. Salt to taste.


And here is my veggie version.


Enjoy :)

1 comment:

  1. I love coming to check out what you're cooking! This stew looks delish, so I've nominated you for an award. You can come grab it on my blog :)

    bebefever

    bebefever.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete