Pages

Monday 2 May 2011

Gyozas

I had no clue what gyozas were until we went to a Japanese restaurant for lunch close to work. Gyozas are the Japanese version of Dim Sums and a similar dish to Wontons. Since I was hosting a Sushi Workshop, I decided to make some of these delicious goodies for those not too fond of fish. I was going to make the dough, but I found this awesome little Japanese store (La Tienda de Miya in Chamartin Mercado) that had the premade dough as well as the wonton one :) No more wonton making dough for me! It is really time consuming, trust me :)

So I bought 2 packs and made 50 pieces for my friends. It is really easy to make so here goes.

Gyozas


Ingredients:

400grs grounded pork
3 green onions
1 tsp fresh minced ginger
1 tbsp soya sauce
1 tbsp mirin
1 tsp sesame oil
50 gyoza wrappers
water
salt and pepper

In a bowl, mix the pork, chopped green onions, ginger, soya sauce, sesame oil, mirin, salt and pepper.


Here is a pic of the gyoza wrappers.


Using your hand, take a wrapper and place one tsp of meat filling in the center. Using your other hand, dip your finger in water and pass it around the edge of the wrapper. This permits the dough to stick together when you close it up.


Fold it over and press close the middle of the gyoza.


Using both hands, fold over twice on the left side while closing it.


Repeat on the other side.


One done, 49 to go :)


In reality, since some of the dough wrappers on the end of the packs were a bit ripped out, I made 46 ;).

You can boil your gyozas like wontons but usually you grill them and them boil them.

Use your wok or a non stick pan, heat it and place a few gyozas.


When they start turning brown at the bottom, add some water about half way. Cover and let cook for a few minutes. You will know right away when to take them out. If you overcook them, they start sticking and breaking apart... I learned the hard way ;)


(My water was a bit brown as I had added some sesame oil. It is better without)

Remove from the wok and repeat.


And there you have it. A whole bunch of wonderful gyozas ready to be devoured by everyone :)

No comments:

Post a Comment