Pages

Friday 2 September 2011

Beer Batter is Simply the Best

I, for one, never thought that beer could make a frying batter so good. My parents' best friends, Ralph and Andrée, always receive us for New Year's Eve (Noche Vieja here in Spain) and always make these delicious fish sticks. Ralph used to be a chef and, of course, everything that comes out of his kitchen is pure heaven :)

Low and behold, he, with the help of our wonderful families, was the cook at my surprise shower and make every woman there happy :) I've mentionned before that I received a recipe book that everyone contributed to; well, I got the best gift from him: the recipe to the batter he always uses to make the fish sticks and shrimps. Special ingredient: Beer!

I have been using this recipe often now and thought I would share it with all of you.

Cod Fish Sticks (Buñuelos de Bacalao)


Ingredients:

1 cod fish
1 cup beer
1 cup flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1 egg
salt and pepper to taste

In a bow, combine all of the batter ingredients. In order to get the proper consistency (thicker than heavy cream, otherwise it won't stick), I needed to add half a cup of flour.


Slice your cod or haddock into stick or tiny pieces. I went with the small pieces.


Start your fryer up or heat your frying oil in a pan.

In the meantime, drop your fish pieces into flour (this will help the batter to stick).


Drop your pieces in the batter, whipping the excess off.


Fry until golden.


And there you have it.

I just love this batter as it is not rich and oil. Thanks Ralph!

Enjoy :)


No comments:

Post a Comment