Pages

Thursday 24 November 2011

Huevos Rotos

Broken eggs. Well, the Spaniard are quite simple when they name a dish. This is one of David's favorite. Truth be told, which guy wouldn't like fries with spanish ham and eggs? This is such a simple meal yet it can be found on almost any menu in any variation. Anything can be added to this and it would still taste great :)

When I bought my turkey, the poultry lady gave me quail eggs. I had never actually cooked quail eggs but figured it would be the same as regular ones. I was right; only difference, when you break them, watch out, the shell is quite fragile.

So, since I wasn't sure how to use my quail eggs, I decided to make David happy and have some Huevos Rotos. For those like me that don't like the liquid egg yolk, just keep your eggs cooking longer.

Huevos de Codorniz Rotos


Ingredients (for one portion):

4 quail eggs
2 potatoes
2 slices jamon serrano

Peel, wash and slice the potatoes.

In the meatime, eat your oil for frying. When ready, fry the potatoes.


At the same time, cook your 4 eggs. The good thing about quail eggs: they all fit in one small pan!


Now let's assemble.

First layer: fries.


Second layer: jamon serrano


Third layer: eggs.


Now, the name of this dish comes from breaking the eggs with your fork and knife and mixing it all together. It doesn't make for a very appetizing plate, but, trust me, it is!

Enjoy :)

4 comments:

  1. Hey Melanie! I decided to check out your blog on cooking. So interesting! Love the pics, the dishes seem quite tasty and appetizing. I'll continue to check the blog for updates. Un saludo desde Ottawa!

    France o Dominicana ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jenn! I can say the same about so many of your recipes :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks France! Hope you are enjoying the spanish dishes :D

    ReplyDelete