Pages

Sunday 5 February 2012

Pre-Christmas Dinner Part 1:)

Since our good friends come from Galicia, they usually go back home to spend Christmas with family and friends. This year, as we stayed in Madrid for the Holidays, we decided to have our Christmas Dinner and gift exchange with them 2 weeks before Christmas. I wanted to make something special and I think it was :) They all loved it!

On the menu:
Jamon and brie melted on garlic bread
Smoked salmon, mayo, honey mustard, pesto bites
Onion soup
Pollo alla florentina
and dessert was brought by our friends

With the rushing from the dinner activities, I only took pictures of the main dishes: the soup and the chicken. My Mom gave me the idea of doing the chicken dish as the colors are Christmasy :)

Onion Soup


Ingredients:

4 onions
2 liters of meat broth (I made mine using beef and pork bones)
3 tbsps flour
salt and pepper
16 mini toasts
Thyme
1 cup gruyere cheese (I used mozzarella)
2 tbsps butter


Slice the onions.

In a large pot, add the butter and heat. When ready, add the onions.


Sweat them until they start turning brown.

Add the flour and mix well.


Add the meat broth and cook for about 1 and 1/2 hours. (sorry, forgot to take a picture).

Pour the soup into individual oven proof bowls.

Top them off with the mini toasts and grated cheese.


Broil in the oven until the cheese melts and starts browning.

This soup is one of my favorites in the winter. Nothing like a warm onion soup to make you feel like you take on a cold day!

Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment