Pages

Sunday 17 April 2011

Salmon Trout in Spain

Ok, I have been pretty busy and didn't get much cooking done until Saturday. We went out on thursday and friday with friends so no cooking for me... Oh well, I made up for it :).

In Spain, you don't find much fresh water fish. Most of them are from sea water (kinda obvious since the country is surrounded by sea). When we went to the grocery store, I got 2 Salmon Trouts for 2.50€. Quite the steal :) I really like trouts. I guess it brings me back to the days when we used to go fishing with my family. I would love it :) So everytime I eat fresh water fish, it just brings me back to those old memories. We are going camping with friends at Sandbanks this summer and will be going fishing, I can't wait!!!!

Ok, back to my kitchen. I decided to do lemon trouts and serve it with rice. Since feeding David can be like feeding a kid, I added the veggies to the rice. He liked it and confirmed that if I would have made it separate, he might not have eaten them. Wise wife ;)

Salmon Trouts with Chard Rice


Ingredients:

2 Salmon Trouts
1 onion
2 garlic cloves
1 lemon
Fish spices (Thyme, sea weeds, sea salt, parsley...)
1 cup of rice
1/2 cup of white wine
2 cups of chard
2 1/2 cup of vegetable or chicken broth
1 tbsp of rice spices (or any spices you prefer)
salt and pepper
oil

Preheat your oven at 180C. Slice half of the onion and lemon.

In a oven dish, place a few onion slices and the trout on top (this prevents the trout from soaking into the wine at the bottom). Place a few slices inside the trout with 2 lemon slices. Cover them with 2 lemon slices each and the remaining onion slices. Sprinkle the spices on top. Add the white wine to the plate. I love adding wine as it helps flavor the fish and keeps it moist while it cooks.


Cover with aluminium foil and cook for 20 minutes.

While the fish is cooking, prepare the rice. Dice the remaining onion and garlic cloves. Heat oil in a large pan. When ready, sweat the onions and garlic.


Slice the chard. Add to the pan.


Cook until it reduces.

Add the rice and rice seasoning. Mix well.


Add the broth.


Cook for about 15 to 20 minutes until the rice is tender. Add salt and pepper.


Remove the fish from the oven.


And there you have it. A healthy and cheap meal that pleases everyone, or almost everyone... those that do not fancy having to remove the fishbones will definately do not like this dish!

No comments:

Post a Comment